Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Zubuchon

Dubbed by Anthony Bourdain as the Best Pig EVER! And yes, he is correct.


I was so excited to come here. Literally researching the net and asking friends from Cebu, where this is located so me and Mac can try this.  I have also been reading blogs to confirm that if it is indeed worth a try.
We went to their branch in One Mango Avenue, near Sunburst. And going into it, I believe I have a really wide grin on my face.


The interiors were minimalist and simple. Good ambiance and lighting. And given that it was lunch when we went there, the crowds were still sparse, maybe because it was raining. But going into the late lunch hour, the place is beginning to get packed.

Zubuchon, aside from their most famous lechon, also has a variety of short orders and pork selections that you can also check out written on their chalkboard menu.


Mac was also pretty excited for this. Look at the picture below, and you'll see! Hahaha!


I was also interested to see that they sell Zubuchon merchandise like jars, shirts and baseball caps. You can also get chicharon from them. One thing caught my attention, the artisinal jars of jelly they have on the shelf, so, I got a jar of guava jelly. And let me tell you, it tastes great. Heavenly for my taste. It is close to being the consistency of honey which I can think of so many food to put it on. My favorite is pairing it with crostini topped with cream cheese and of course the famous peanut butter and jelly sandwich.


The plan was to keep it simple, since we had buffet breakfast at the hotel,  so we ordered half a kilo of lechon, kamias shake, santol juice and ensaladang talong to eat there. My favorite aside from the lechon is the santol juice. It's sweet and tangy and I honestly thought it took away the umay factor of the lechon when I had a lot already.



For us to take home to Manila, I ordered a kilo of their frozen lechon (Php490), which the very kind waitress suggested we get, instead of the fresh one, since we are still travelling late in the afternoon. She said the lechon might be spoiled already, by the time we arrived in Manila. We also got the Lechon Flakes which is, I think, retails for Php160 and also the Lechon Paksiw for Php250. I was surprised to see that they have a very good selection of frozen goods like Zubuchon Crispy Pata, Chorizo, and they actually have what they call Tampalen or the fat of the lechon which is frozen.

When we arrived home and opened the box of our take home from Zubuchon, there were pieces of paper that are actually instructions on what to do with the frozen goods. Very helpful! The frozen lechon, can actually store up to a month (frozen) after it has been purchased. They said you can thaw it, then put it in the oven to crisp it up again.

So for those of you who are going to Cebu, Zubuchon is a must try. :)

You can buy/order lechon in the following outlets:
Mactan International Airport Pre-Departure: (032)340-2486 local 3304
Escario Bldg, Escario St.: (032)583-5699
Capitol Site: (032)254-7342 or (0917)627-4761
One Mango Avenue Bldg: (032)239-5697
They also have a stall in Banilad Town Center which is open on Sundays, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., or until supplies last.

Zubuchon Menu: http://www.munchpunch.com/zubuchon-mactan/menu


No comments:

Post a Comment