Sunday, September 22, 2013

Accidental Nasi Goreng


 
Late night dinner cravings and leftovers from the dinner table and fridge are actually two interesting things for me. It's actually a party waiting to happen. I have started eating brown rice, I think two months ago or so for health and fitness reasons. And to be completely honest, its not as appetizing as the white rice that we all love. So I learned to switch it up or I felt I needed to switch it up for my sanity's sake.
 
Other than spicy food, I also love fried rice.  If you mix those two together, you get spicy fried rice? Close. I got Nasi Goreng. It became an instant hit for me when we went to Jakarta last year. I wouldn't have imagined that I will be cooking this here. Well, it was an accident, and I didn't know that this is going to be the outcome of all these leftover food being cooked together, until I had my first bite. It was like a light bulb went up in my head. I swear I could've shouted Eureka! Hahaha
 
Enough of the mumblings.. This is how the accidental nasi goreng happened....
 
Coming home from the gym made me all hungry and seeing that we all have a lot of leftover food on the table and fridge, I decided to whip something up.
 
Nasi Goreng
 
Ingredients:
leftover chicken breast 
leftover tilapia
leftover spicy bagoong (shrimp paste)
leftover chili garlic oil
leftover brown rice.
bit of oil
chili powder
garlic, chopped
onion, chopped
1 egg
 
Just cook everything as you would fried rice. I want my Nasi Goreng a bit on the "toasted" side, so I made sure, it stuck a little to the pan.
 
They had bangus steaks that night, that's my viand, and I chopped up half a cucumber, tossed it in vinegar, sugar, salt and pinch of chili pepper for a side dish.
 
I have learn to love the unexpected, and delight on the joys and pains that come with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment